5.07 Grilled Pineapple - Baking & Desserts - Low-Fuss
Onto the desserts!
I had a bit of difficulty choosing which desserts to include in this season as there are so many different varieties. In the end, after going to a Churrasco restaurant for my birthday dinner, I was inspired to go with this.
Warm and juicy and sweet an sour with just a hint of caramel, this dessert is incredibly satisfying (and not too naughty, either!).
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
Only 4 ingredients, how could you go wrong?!
1. Trim the ends off the pineapple, then slice it in half down the middle lengthways. (Count: You'll now have 2 pieces of pineapple.)
2. Cut each half into halves again, then remove the core from each quarter. (Count: You'll now have 4 pieces of pineapple.)
3. Cut each quarter into 2 pieces, then use a small, sharp knife to remove the rind from each segment of fruit (kind of like filleting a fish). (Count: You'll now have 8 pieces of pineapple.)
4. Place the fruit onto some paper towel and pat dry.
5. Take some skewers and impale each segment down the middle, leaving enough of the skewer exposed for easy handling. Place aside until needed.
6. Zest the lime into a bowl, then add in the sugar and cinnamon and mix until well combined.
7. Scatter a generous amount of the spiced sugar onto each pineapple skewer, then gently rub in until evenly coated.
8. Place the pineapple skewers onto a hot grill pan (or a barbecue if you prefer) and grill for approx. 2 minutes on each side. (You're just trying to get caramelised bar-marks on the fruit, rather than actually cook it.)
9. Once marked on each side, remove from the pan.
10. Serve warm with wedges of lime for squeezing over. (TIP: Use the lime you zested earlier, obviously.)
A video of this recipe is available at https://youtu.be/719RLI21BpQ.